In the last 15 minutes
In the last half-hour
In the last hour
In the last 2 hours
In the last 4 hours
In the last 6 hours
In the last 8 hours
In the last 7 days
view more headlines
25 Oct 17:36
Energy Crisis NewsThe UK energy crisis emerged in 2021, as wholesale gas prices soared, threatening millions of consumers with sharply rising and possibly unaffordable bills, as well as sending energy companies bust.
The crisis is reportedly the result of several combining factors. When economies reopened after Covid lockdowns there was an uptick in global gas demand, leaving northern hemisphere countries short on gas supplies after a long, cold winter. At the same time rising demand in Asia resulted in fewer shipments to Europe from countries such as Qatar, while several gas platforms in the North Sea have been closed for maintenance that was paused during the pandemic. As a result, UK gas prices by September 2021 had quadrupled in a year.
Following the shutdown of operations at two UK fertiliser plants as a result of the high gas prices, a shortage of carbon-dioxide - a by-product of fertiliser production - has caused other short term problems in UK farming, meat production, the food and drinks industry, large steelmakers, and other industries.
Electricity supplies were hit by a drop in wind power compared to 2020, as the UK experienced one of its least windy summers since 1961. And in September 2021, imports of electricity from France were cut by a fire to a key cross-Channel cable.
NewsNow aims to be the world’s most accurate and comprehensive UK energy crisis news aggregator, bringing you the latest headlines automatically and continuously 24/7. N.B. Relevance is automatically assessed so some headlines not qualifying as energy crisis news might appear - please feel free to contact us regarding any persistent issues.
- Energy jobs in London
- Energy Engineer jobs in London
- Energy jobs in Manchester
- Energy jobs in Birmingham
- Energy Analyst jobs in London
- Energy Manager jobs in London
- Energy Consultant jobs in London
- Energy jobs in Plymouth
- Properties with renewable energy for sale in London
- Domestic Energy Assessor jobs in London
- Energy Broker jobs in London
- Properties with renewable energy for rent in London
- Energy jobs in North West
- Energy jobs in South West
- Energy jobs in West Midlands
- Energy jobs in Bristol
- Energy jobs in North East
- Energy jobs in Devon
- Properties with renewable energy for sale in North West
- Properties with renewable energy for sale in South West
- Domestic Energy Assessor jobs in West Midlands
- Domestic Energy Assessor jobs in Bristol