Senior Full Stack Developers - Fully Remote
Salary: £50k – £65k (according to location and exp.)
Holidays: 26 days plus bank holidays
Location: 100% remote, UK resident
Benefits: Bupa, bonuses and much more…
NewsNow is a rare beast: a UK-based ‘dot com’ success story; a publisher and technology company running the extremely successful news aggregation and discovery platform NewsNow.co.uk.
NewsNow presents curated and breaking headlines from around the world for those who want to read more widely, and think more critically. By presenting different perspectives and stories covered from a range of angles, it helps people to compare and contrast opposing viewpoints, spot differing presentations of the facts, challenge their preconceptions, make their own minds up, and stay abreast of topics they are passionate about.
Founded in 1997 to democratise and disrupt the market for news, NewsNow has built up a solid brand and huge, loyal user base (over 11m users monthly). Our small & agile team, together with a focus on adtech and algorithms right on the cutting edge, has delivered a run of outstanding financial results and industry-leading success metrics.
Now in our 24th year, we're in the fortunate position of having a proven product and the capital to invest in tackling some major growth and product development plans, both here in the UK and abroad, and creating even more social capital out of what has been an extremely successful platform.
That’s why we’re expanding and now looking for permanent senior full stack developers, who will work on a wide array of challenges across our entire tech stack.
About the role
You will join our highly-experienced and multi-disciplinary product development and engineering team, enhancing the functionality of the website and improving our codebase and infrastructure through both client-side and server-side development. Our priorities for the next 12 months and beyond include:
- The biggest product overhaul in our over-20 year history.
- Launching a US version of the site, NewsNow.com.
- Continued evolution of our pioneering ad stack.
As a Senior Full Stack Developer, you will quickly grasp the “big picture” of systems you come into contact with, and as you learn, you will be able to correctly anticipate the interactions of these systems, particularly given planned modifications to their behaviour.
You will be able to engage authoritatively in technical discussions and debates around the specifications of projects throughout the entire software stack: from database and infrastructure installation and configuration, through writing business logic and prototyping. You will be adept at identifying when proposed specifications are ambiguous or will not achieve intended outcomes, and you are able to provide accurate write-ups of what is finally agreed.
Last but not least, you will also consistently produce high-quality code that is secure, readable and stands the test of time, and which requires relatively few changes when reviewed. You will also be expected to review others’ code and play a role in administering our systems and keeping NewsNow running 24/7.
At NewsNow, product development is a team sport. So you'll also be invited to collaborate with other members of our product development and engineering team in conceiving development efforts, researching and specifying planned product enhancements.
You and your skills
We want to hear from you if you are confident that you can learn what you need to know quickly and are keen to master new methods and discover new approaches. On-the-job training on the specifics of our systems, and even on the programming languages we use, will be provided.
For this role you will need:
- A keen eye for detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- An understanding of the principles behind great software design, allowing you to write code that’s clean, fast and scalable.
- A track record of remote working or working with remote team members.
In addition, one or more of these would be great to have:
- ES6, JSX.
- Database design, and/or query optimisation skills.
- Familiarity with the Linux command line, bash, and Git.
- Layer 2+3 networking
- HTTP, Apache2.
- Amazon AWS and/or Google Cloud.
- Basic skills in image manipulation using e.g. PhotoShop / Illustrator / GIMP.
- Android / iOS development.
- NodeJS and a reactive framework (e.g. React or Vue).
You’re also someone who:
- Thrives in a small, open and collaborative team, where the best ideas can come from anyone. You’re confident and articulate about what you know and what you don’t.
- Is passionate about any area of news or sport, or creating the best product for people who are.
- Is comfortable working 100% remotely.
About our development team
We offer all the excitement and agility of a start-up, but with the stability and benefits of an established business.
Our highly experienced multi-disciplinary development team runs lean. Our compact set-up lets us keep hierarchy and bureaucracy to a minimum. Which means today, we're still a company where everyone who joins us gets to make a massive impact.
We’re a developer-driven company. Two of the company’s three directors are developers - and that includes the CEO. This means that development is core to the business, developers are appreciated for their creative input, and the importance of investment in development - and avoiding technical debt - is understood.
We operate a cutting-edge and bespoke containerised development model, that makes agile development convenient and cheap. For each new task, a disposable Docker container (talking to a disposable live database clone) provides a ready-built development environment running a full live NewsNow stack, complete with high-end browser-based IDE. This makes forking a breeze. From conception through roll out, branches and staged developments are continuously available as needed to developers and managers for collaboration and review.
- Open: we share and collaborate within and across departments
- Scientific: peer review and experimentation is in our DNA
- One team, one vision: no office politics
- An appreciative environment: expect to hear ‘thanks’ a lot
- Room to grow: development of skills and responsibilities is encouraged and rewarded
- Virtual: we run a remote-first development team (but with periodic London meetups)
- Family-friendly and flexible: we understand sometimes personal needs must come first
Our remuneration policy
NewsNow is an exceptionally stable business that values long-term relationships with its employees. We run a programme of annual (or even more frequent) appraisals and pay reviews, with the aim of ensuring our employees are motivated, fulfilled, and that their remuneration reflects and recognises their developing expertise (whether transferable skills, or knowledge of our particular stack), their value to NewsNow, and on the wider job market.
- Fully paid Bupa private health insurance
- 26 days holiday plus bank holidays
- NEST pension scheme
- Competitive salary + bonuses
- Fully remote: work from home 100% of the time
- Developer playtime for research & development
- Budget for books and resources
- Sabbatical proposals considered
More about NewsNow
NewsNow is the UK’s largest independent news aggregation and discovery platform. A one-stop shop for news for 12m unique monthly visitors, NewsNow is a UK top 50 website, and a global top 50 news destination.
We’re a developer-driven company. Two of the company’s three directors - which includes the CEO/Managing Director - are developers.
Running stably and profitably since our start in 1997, since 2009 we’ve been experiencing even greater commercial success as an industry leader in programmatic advertising technologies.
NewsNow is proud of its place within the media ecosystem, providing a platform particularly for smaller and independent publications to reach their audience, and helping to grow media plurality. We are a driver of quality in the news media and today set editorial standards for much of the content we link to.
NewsNow is also very proud to be the first digital member of the Disaster Emergency Committee’s Rapid Response Network, which helps alert the UK public efficiently to its vital humanitarian emergency fundraising appeals.