Senior Linux Systems Administrator
Salary: £60k – £70k (according to location and exp.)
Holidays: 26 days plus bank holidays
Location: 100% remote, UK resident
Benefits: Bupa, bonuses and much more…
NewsNow is a rare beast: a UK-based ‘dot com’ success story; a publisher and technology company running the extremely successful news aggregation and discovery platform NewsNow.co.uk.
NewsNow presents curated and breaking headlines from around the world for those who want to read more widely, and think more critically. By presenting different perspectives and stories covered from a range of angles, it helps people to compare and contrast opposing viewpoints, spot differing presentations of the facts, challenge their preconceptions, make their own minds up, and stay abreast of topics they are passionate about.
Founded in 1997 to democratise and disrupt the market for news, NewsNow has built up a solid brand and huge, loyal user base (over 11m users monthly). Our small & agile team, together with a focus on adtech and algorithms right on the cutting edge, has delivered a run of outstanding financial results and industry-leading success metrics.
Now in our 24th year, we're in the fortunate position of having a proven product and the capital to invest in tackling some major growth and product development plans, both here in the UK and abroad, and creating even more social capital out of what has been an extremely successful platform.
About the role
You will join our highly-experienced and multi-disciplinary engineering team, ensuring our systems are secure, scalable and resilient by:
- Making NewsNow’s entire application fully Google Cloud-ready
- Reformulating NewsNow’s internal security model to provide finer-grained control as our remote development team scales
- Keeping NewsNow at the forefront of necessary protections against malicious attacks and single points of failure to maintain reliability and uptime
- Supporting our development team in deploying NewsNow’s first-ever US edition and other foreign language editions, and our biggest re-design of the product in over 10 years
Moreover, you will be responsible for specification and installation of new hardware, database management, installs and upgrades, and providing on-call support.
At NewsNow, product development/deployment is a team sport. So you’ll collaborate with other members of our engineering team in conceiving and implementing solutions that deliver, and assisting colleagues with their security, scalability and systems management challenges.
You and your skills
For this role the core skills you will need include advanced:
- Linux / Debian system administration and system security incl. ssh and sudo
- Virtualisation (libvirt/kvm, Docker, and Google Cloud/AWS)
- Scripting and automation with bash and Perl
- Layer 2+3 networking including DNS, DHCP, iptables, IP routing, ethernet bridging, switches, OpenSSL, OpenVPN/IPSec
In addition, familiarity with any of the following is a definite advantage:
- MySQL administration, replication, query performance/index analysis
- Storage solutions (LVM, RAID, various filesystems)
- Python 3, C
- Exim4, SPF and DKIM
- and more networking (BGP, IPVS and more)
You’re also someone who:
- Is open to new technologies, but isn’t a slave to them: you relish crafting elegant solutions to hard technical and business problems, using whatever is the best tool for the job.
- Thrives in a small, open and collaborative team, where the best ideas can come from anyone, and everyone’s work is peer-reviewed. You’re confident and articulate about what you know and what you don’t.
- Is passionate about news or sport, or delivering the best product for people who are.
- Lives within easy travelling distance of our London offices, so they can attend as and when required.
About our development team
We offer all the excitement and agility of a start-up, but with the stability and benefits of an established business.
Our highly experienced multi-disciplinary development team runs lean. Our compact set-up lets us keep hierarchy and bureaucracy to a minimum. Which means today, we're still a company where everyone who joins us gets to make a massive impact.
We’re a developer-driven company. Two of the company’s three directors are developers - and that includes the CEO. This means that development is core to the business, developers are appreciated for their creative input, and the importance of investment in development - and avoiding technical debt - is understood.
We operate a cutting-edge and bespoke containerised development model, that makes agile development convenient and cheap. For each new task, a disposable Docker container (talking to a disposable live database clone) provides a ready-built development environment running a full live NewsNow stack, complete with high-end browser-based IDE. This makes forking a breeze. From conception through roll out, branches and staged developments are continuously available as needed to developers and managers for collaboration and review.
- Open: we share and collaborate within and across departments
- Scientific: peer review and experimentation is in our DNA
- One team, one vision: no office politics
- An appreciative environment: expect to hear ‘thanks’ a lot
- Room to grow: development of skills and responsibilities is encouraged and rewarded
- Family-friendly and flexible: we understand sometimes personal needs must come first
Our remuneration policy
NewsNow is an exceptionally stable business that values long-term relationships with its employees. We run a programme of annual (or even more frequent) appraisals and pay reviews, with the aim of ensuring our employees are motivated, fulfilled, and that their remuneration reflects and recognises their developing expertise (whether transferable skills, or knowledge of our particular stack), their value to NewsNow, and on the wider job market.
- Fully paid Bupa private health insurance
- 26 days holiday plus bank holidays
- NEST pension scheme
- Competitive salary + bonuses
- Part remote: work from home part-time
- Developer playtime for research & development
- Budget for books and resources
- Sabbatical proposals considered
More about NewsNow
NewsNow is the UK’s largest independent news aggregation and discovery platform. A one-stop shop for news for 12m unique monthly visitors, NewsNow is a UK top 50 website, and a global top 50 news destination.
We’re a developer-driven company. Two of the company’s three directors - which includes the CEO/Managing Director - are developers.
Running stably and profitably since our start in 1997, since 2009 we’ve been experiencing even greater commercial success as an industry leader in programmatic advertising technologies.
NewsNow is proud of its place within the media ecosystem, providing a platform particularly for smaller and independent publications to reach their audience, and helping to grow media plurality. We are a driver of quality in the news media and today set editorial standards for much of the content we link to.
NewsNow is also very proud to be the first digital member of the Disaster Emergency Committee’s Rapid Response Network, which helps alert the UK public efficiently to its vital humanitarian emergency fundraising appeals.