We provide the following guidance for publishers on how we evaluate sites for inclusion on NewsNow:
- The inclusion and removal of sites is a subjective choice made by our editors with the aim of creating a high quality and balanced editorial experience for our readers. We may decline a site because we feel it is poorly written, because it isn't materially different from sites that are already on NewsNow or because it doesn‘t otherwise add value.
- We ignore applications from sites that cannot demonstrate consistently high quality content for at least the previous six months. There are no exceptions to this rule, however you are welcome to re-apply when you can do so.
- First impressions are important. If the first two or three articles that we read contain spelling, grammatical or punctuation mistakes, we are likely to decline a site. Likewise, we are likely to reject poorly designed sites.
- We no longer accept rehashed news stories unless they contain added value. Rehashed news stories are those that are re-written or paraphrased from articles found elsewhere on NewsNow.
- While it is not our policy to dictate to publishers what they can and cannot publish on their own sites, it is our concern what stories are published on NewsNow. If a site publishes a mix of content that we do consider suitable for inclusion and content that we don‘t, you must provide a feed containing only the content suitable for inclusion on NewsNow in your application (See point 6 below).
- Content that is suitable for inclusion on NewsNow includes exclusive news, rehashed news with added value, comment, opinion pieces, columns, feature articles, analytical articles, investigative pieces, interviews and reviews. From sports sites, we also welcome match previews, match reports and player ratings.
- Content that is not suitable for inclusion on NewsNow includes off-topic posts, including but not limited to competitions, offers or discounts; updates about one‘s own website, poll-setting, or any advertorial; posts displaying nothing more than a link to/excerpt of/screenshot of content published on another site, or photo galleries/other images/multimedia/quotes with no substantial editorial around it.
- We only accept sites that write substantial articles. Sites that regularly publish articles of fewer than two hundred words (excluding quotes from other sources) will not be considered.
- Sites that cover subjects that are already served to saturation point on NewsNow are likely to be declined. Some subjects that are nearing, or have already reached, saturation point include generic football news, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and entertainment news.
- Sites that cover popular topics are subject to stricter editorial criteria and are less likely to be accepted for inclusion. For example, a site that is about the English Premier League, Arsenal, Manchester United or computer gaming as a whole, is less likely to be accepted than a site that is about Grimsby Town, Accrington Stanley or the PS3 exclusively.
- Sites with excessive advertising, or advertising that impinges on the reading of articles, may be declined.
- We only accept applications from sports and entertainment sites that are able to place a NewsNow logo of our choice on the homepage of their site, above the fold (without the need to scroll) and in a prominent position. Football sites are additionally required to display the same logo on each article page adjacent to the headline or as close as possible to it. By 'above the fold', we mean visible on a standard browser, monitor and font size at 1024 x 768 resolution. Furthermore, it must be positioned away from other aggregator logos or, failing that, above any other aggregator logos. Sites that display the logo and subsequently remove it will be suspended from NewsNow without notice.
- For avoidance of doubt, please also consider our Editorial Standards, Code of Conduct and Disciplinary Procedure, Technical Requirements and Publisher Network Terms and Conditions.