Web Developers - Fully Remote
Salary: £35k – £50k (according to location and exp.)
Holidays: 26 days plus bank holidays
Location: 100% remote, UK resident
Benefits: Bupa, bonuses and much more…
NewsNow is a rare beast: a UK-based ‘dot com’ success story; a publisher and technology company running the extremely successful news aggregation platform NewsNow.co.uk.
Founded in 1997 to democratise and disrupt the market for news, NewsNow has built up a solid brand and huge user base. Our small & agile team, together with a focus on adtech and algorithms right on the cutting edge, has delivered a run of outstanding financial results and industry-leading success metrics.
Our large, loyal audience visit multiple times daily, excited by the potential to discover the latest and broadest range of content on the news issues of the moment, as well as the sports they love. We aim to inform, surprise, challenge and delight, 24/7.
Now in our 20th year, we're in the fortunate position of having a proven product and the capital to invest in tackling some major growth plans, both here in the UK and abroad, and creating even more social capital out of what has been an extremely successful platform.
Our ethos and news product are well proven, but we’ve huge plans to fulfil our mission to be the best and fastest website for news from all the angles.
That’s why we’re expanding and now looking for permanent, full-time web developers, who will work on a wide array of exciting UI/UX challenges.
About the role
You will join our highly-experienced and multi-disciplinary product development and engineering team, enhancing the functionality of the website and improving our web codebase and infrastructure through both client-side and server-side development. Our priorities for 2018 and beyond include:
- Implementing our 'mobile first' roadmap.
- Native advertising integration.
- Auxiliary content integration.
- Crowd-sourced ratings that drive editorial quality improvements.
- Launching a US version of the site, NewsNow.com.
- Developing an entirely new news product, which will eventually replace the website's homepage.
As a Web Developer, you will be expected to contribute authoritatively towards our web development projects, writing business logic and presentation.
You will also be expected to review others’ code and there will be opportunities to learn to play a role administering our systems and keeping NewsNow running 24/7.
At NewsNow, product development is a team sport. So you'll also be invited to collaborate with other members of our product development and engineering team in conceiving development efforts, researching and specifying planned product enhancements.
You and your skills
We want to hear from you if you are confident that you can learn what you need to know quickly and are keen to master new methods and discover new approaches. On-the-job training on the specifics of our systems, and even on the programming languages we use, will be provided.
For this role you will need:
- Basic skills in image manipulation using e.g. PhotoShop / Illustrator / GIMP.
- A keen eye for detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A track record of remote working or working with remote team members.
In addition, one or more of these would be great to have:
- OO programming principles.
- ES6, JSX.
- Familiarity with the Linux command line, bash, and Git.
- HTTP, Apache2.
- Amazon AWS and/or Google Cloud.
- Android / iOS development.
- NodeJS and React.
You’re also someone who:
- Is open to new technologies, but isn’t a slave to them: you relish crafting elegant solutions to hard technical and business problems, using whatever is the best tool for the job.
- Thrives in a small, open and collaborative team, where the best ideas can come from anyone. You’re confident and articulate about what you know and what you don’t.
- Is passionate about any area of news or sport, or creating the best product for people who are.
- Lives within a reasonable distance of our London offices, or is comfortable working 100% remotely.
About the company
NewsNow is the UK’s largest independent free-to-web real-time news aggregator. A one-stop shop for news for 15m unique monthly visitors, we aim to be the best site on the web for those seeking news from all the angles. Running stably and profitably since our start in 1997, since 2009 we’ve been experiencing even greater commercial success as an industry leader in programmatic advertising technologies. Recently, The Guardian ranked NewsNow among the top ten UK media publishers for news consumed by British people online.
We are always looking for new ways to reward the loyalty of our massive fan-base, and to grow our reach to new people seeking news from all the angles. We are a driver of quality in the news media and today set editorial standards for much of the content we link to.
Our highly experienced multi-disciplinary engineering team can afford to run lean. Our compact set-up lets us keep hierarchy and bureaucracy to a minimum. Which means today, we're still a company where everyone who joins us gets to make a massive impact. In short, we offer all the excitement and agility of a start-up, but with the stability and benefits of an established business.
- Fully paid Bupa private health insurance
- 26 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Childcare voucher scheme
- NEST pension scheme
- Competitive salary + bonuses
- Fully remote: work from home 100% of the time!
- Social activities
- Sabbatical proposals considered