Back End Software Engineer - Fully Remote
Salary: £40k – £65k (according to location and exp.)
Holidays: 34 days paid leave (incl. bank holidays)
Location: 100% remote, UK resident
Benefits: Bupa, bonuses and much more…
We are a top ten UK media publisher, with a website loved by millions: a technology company at heart with industry-leading success metrics propelled by a highly experienced multi-disciplinary engineering team that can afford to run lean. Which means today, we offer all the excitement and agility of a start-up, but with the stability and benefits of an established business — we’re still a company where everyone gets to make a massive impact!
Our ethos and news product are well proven, but we’ve huge plans to fulfil our mission to be the best and fastest website for news from all the angles.
That’s why we’re expanding and now looking for permanent back-end software engineers, who will work on a wide array of hard CompSci/engineering challenges.
About the role
You will join our highly-experienced and multi-disciplinary engineering team, playing a leading role on some of our biggest challenges for 2017:
- Extending and enhancing our unique in-house article classification engine.
- Generating live digests of our most compelling content for our homepages and email newsletters using signals derived from high-volume news and traffic flows.
- Developing and refining logic to extract images from news articles.
- Developing superior text extraction algorithms based on structural and semantic markers.
As a Backend Software Engineer, your projects will largely be server-side. You will bring a sophisticated approach to problem solving, finding ways to achieve objectives while addressing scalability challenges and security concerns.
You will also be expected to review others’ code, contribute across the entire stack (according to your particular skills), and play a role administering our systems and keeping NewsNow running 24/7.
At NewsNow, product development is a team sport. So you'll also be invited to collaborate with other members of our product development and engineering team in conceiving development efforts, researching and specifying planned product enhancements, according to your particular skills.
You and your skills
We want to hear from you if you are confident that you can learn what you need to know quickly and are keen to master new methods and discover new approaches. On-the-job training on the specifics of our systems, and even on the programming languages we use, will be provided.
For this role you will need:
- An understanding of the principles behind great software design, allowing you to write complex code that’s clean, fast and scalable.
- Experience of developing complex computer software and solving hard programming problems.
- Skills and confidence in debugging complex systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with the Linux command line, bash, and Git.
- A track record of remote working or working with remote team members.
In addition, experience in some of these would be great to have:
- Training in mathematics, data science or computer science (e.g. linear algebra, statistics, probability, machine learning and/or natural language processing)
- Database design, and/or query optimisation skills
- Debian or Ubuntu system administration
- Layer 2+3 networking
- HTTP, Apache2
- Amazon AWS and/or Google Cloud
You’re also someone who:
- Is open to new technologies, but isn’t a slave to them: you relish crafting elegant solutions to hard technical and business problems, using whatever is the best tool for the job.
- Thrives in a small, open and collaborative team, where the best ideas can come from anyone. You’re confident and articulate about what you know and what you don’t.
- Is passionate about any area of news or sport, or creating the best product for people who are.
- Lives within a reasonable distance of our London offices, or is comfortable working 100% remotely.
About the company
NewsNow is the UK’s largest independent free-to-web real-time news aggregator. A one-stop shop for news for 15m unique monthly visitors, we aim to be the best site on the web for those seeking news from all the angles. Running stably and profitably since our start in 1997, since 2009 we’ve been experiencing even greater commercial success as an industry leader in programmatic advertising technologies. In February, The Guardian ranked NewsNow among the top ten UK media publishers for news consumed by British people online.
We are always looking for new ways to reward the loyalty of our massive fan-base, and to grow our reach to new people seeking news from all the angles. We are a driver of quality in the news media and today set editorial standards for much of the content we link to.
Our highly experienced multi-disciplinary engineering team can afford to run lean. Our compact set-up lets us keep hierarchy and bureaucracy to a minimum. Which means today, we're still a company where everyone who joins us gets to make a massive impact. In short, we offer all the excitement and agility of a start-up, but with the stability and benefits of an established business.
- Fully paid Bupa private health insurance
- 34 days paid annual leave (incl. bank holidays)
- Childcare voucher scheme
- NEST pension scheme
- Competitive salary + bonuses
- Fully remote: work from home 100% of the time!
- Social activities
- Sabbatical proposals considered
If this interests you, get in touch and tell us about yourself. We’re hiring continuously so there’s never a bad time to say hello.