Salary: £40k – £65k (according to location and exp.)
Holidays: 26 days plus bank holidays
Location: 100% remote, UK resident
Benefits: Bupa, bonuses and much more…
NewsNow is a rare beast: a UK-based ‘dot com’ success story; a publisher and technology company running the extremely successful news aggregation platform NewsNow.co.uk.
Founded in 1997 to democratise and disrupt the market for news, NewsNow has built up a solid brand and huge user base. Our small & agile team, together with a focus on adtech and algorithms right on the cutting edge, has delivered a run of outstanding financial results and industry-leading success metrics.
Our large, loyal audience visit multiple times daily, excited by the potential to discover the latest and broadest range of content on the news issues of the moment, as well as the sports they love. We aim to inform, surprise, challenge and delight, 24/7.
Now in our 20th year, we're in the fortunate position of having a proven product and the capital to invest in tackling some major growth plans, both here in the UK and abroad, and creating even more social capital out of what has been an extremely successful platform.
Our ethos and news product are well proven, but we’ve huge plans to fulfil our mission to be the best and fastest website for news from all the angles.
About the role
You will join our highly-experienced and multi-disciplinary engineering team, working to grow revenues and improve UX on our biggest programmatic advertising challenges for 2017:
- Programmatic native (ES6, ES5, NodeJS).
- Header bidding (ES5) integrations and optimisation.
- Server-to-server bidding (ES6, ES5, NodeJS).
- Ad format and positioning optimisation.
At NewsNow, product development is a team sport. So you'll also be invited to collaborate with other members of our product development and engineering team in conceiving development efforts, researching and specifying planned product enhancements, according to your particular skills.
You and your skills
For this role you will need:
- Advanced ES5 (OO) and a good grasp of ES6.
- A good understanding of high-performance Node.js web services development and familiarity with common Node.js libraries.
- Experience of developing complex computer software and solving scalability challenges.
- A good understanding of the networking and rendering performance of modern browsers, or the skills to find out.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Skills and confidence in debugging complex systems.
- SQL and spreadsheet data analysis skills.
- A track record of remote working or working with remote team members.
Our ideal candidate would also have:
- Training in mathematics (statistics, probability), computer science, data science or a related field.
- Familiarity with the Linux command line, bash, and Git
- DNS and HTTP
- Experience of network analysis tools e.g. mtr, tcpdump, tshark
- Experience with data analysis tools, e.g. pandas; Python, machine learning
- HTML5, jQuery, Go, CSS3
You’re also someone who:
- Is open to new technologies, but isn’t a slave to them: you relish crafting elegant solutions to hard technical and business problems, using whatever is the best tool for the job.
- Thrives in a small, open and collaborative team, where the best ideas can come from anyone. You’re confident and articulate about what you know and what you don’t.
- Is excited about how tech can be used to electronically trade advertising.
- Lives within a reasonable distance of our London offices, or is comfortable working 100% remotely.
About the company
NewsNow is the UK’s largest independent free-to-web real-time news aggregator. A one-stop shop for news for 15m unique monthly visitors, we aim to be the best site on the web for those seeking news from all the angles. Running stably and profitably since our start in 1997, since 2009 we’ve been experiencing even greater commercial success as an industry leader in programmatic advertising technologies. In February, The Guardian ranked NewsNow among the top ten UK media publishers for news consumed by British people online.
We are always looking for new ways to reward the loyalty of our massive fan-base, and to grow our reach to new people seeking news from all the angles. We are a driver of quality in the news media and today set editorial standards for much of the content we link to.
Our highly experienced multi-disciplinary engineering team can afford to run lean. Our compact set-up lets us keep hierarchy and bureaucracy to a minimum. Which means today, we're still a company where everyone who joins us gets to make a massive impact. In short, we offer all the excitement and agility of a start-up, but with the stability and benefits of an established business.
- Fully paid Bupa private health insurance
- 26 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Childcare voucher scheme
- NEST pension scheme
- Competitive salary + bonuses
- Fully remote: work from home 100% of the time!
- Social activities
- Sabbatical proposals considered