Editorial Assistants (Sport/Football)
Salary: £20,000 per annum
Holidays: 34 days paid leave (incl. bank holidays)
Location Stylish, modern offices in Victoria, London SW1 with excellent transport links (bicycle, bus, tube and rail Zone 1). Opportunity for flexible/home/remote working.
Benefits: Bupa, bonuses and much more…
About the company
NewsNow.co.uk is the UK's leading independent news aggregator and provider of real time news and search services. Established in 1997, NewsNow is a ground-breaking and innovative web 2.0 news publisher that is continuously looking for new ways to make digesting the wealth of online news a more engaging experience for its 15 million website users.
As a highly-successful Internet company, NewsNow maintains a smart and stylish office 'hub' conveniently located in London Victoria, which features excellent transport links and amenities.
Furthermore, as a truly virtual company NewsNow also provides team members with the opportunity to combine this with the many benefits of flexible and remote/home working: reduced financial and time-related costs of commuting and enhanced work-life balance.
About the position
We are recruiting IT-savvy media graduates, who will be responsible for upholding website editorial standards through the maintenance and development of our online news source database and search algorithms.
This technically challenging entry-level administrative role comprises building up the size and quality of the company's news source database. On a day-to-day basis, this involves:
- monitoring the quality of content on the website;
- editing records that control how our search technology applies to individual news sources;
- correcting meta-data describing each source;
- adding new publications to our database;
- designing and maintaining search algorithms that control how news articles are filtered to relevant topic pages;
- researching daily news items and writing promotional teasers;
- handling and responding to website enquiries;
- liaising with small publishers.
You will be expected to make yourself fully conversant with the company's database maintenance tools and scripting language, and be able to use them quickly and efficiently to add to and debug the flow of news from the world's online news publications.
Successful candidates will be expected to attend our London offices throughout their training.
This is a great opportunity for a bright media, journalism or publishing graduate, who will be able to comprehend the complexity of the technology that drives our systems and grasp what goes on 'under the bonnet' of the world-wide web.
You will be knowledgeable and passionate about at least one of: current affairs/politics and sport/football.
You are expected to possess excellent communication skills, good memory, well developed keyboard skills and meticulous attention to detail. Basic knowledge of HTML is essential.
The ideal candidate will have some data entry/database maintenance experience, be knowledgeable about regular expressions, and perhaps even a bit of a geek!
- Fully paid Bupa private health insurance
- 34 days paid annual leave (incl. bank holidays)
- Childcare voucher scheme
- NEST pension scheme
- Competitive salary + bonuses
- Flexible/homeworking opportunities
- Choose your location: strategically located offices in London or 100% remote
- Cycle to work
- Social activities
- Sabbatical proposals considered after 2 years
If you are fast on the uptake when it comes to technical skills, have a positive attitude towards developing an efficient routine in your job, and would welcome the opportunity to help manage the editorial quality of a news website frequented by millions of people, then please apply as follows:
- Send us your CV in PDF format;
- Include a covering letter, also in PDF format. Your letter must explain your interest in the role, and clearly show how you meet all of the selection criteria stated above.
- State where you saw the position advertised.
- Provide a daytime contact number on your application so that we may get in touch with you by telephone.
We will aim to contact short-listed candidates within two weeks of the deadline for applications.
Please note that your application will not be considered if you fail to supply a covering letter.APPLY NOW