We work with a number of ad networks, who place ads on the NewsNow website, some of which use 'behavioural’ or ‘interest-based’ targeting to select which ad to show. They do this by collecting anonymous information about you when you visit other web sites (such as when you browse for a particular brand or product) which they store in (or reference using) a cookie stored in your browser. This means that after you have browsed for a particular product on another website, they may then know to show you adverts for that product when you are on the NewsNow site. The information thus collected should not be able to identify you personally.
Many people find such advertising improves the relevance of the ads they see. However we recognise that other people may find behavioural targeting disconcerting or annoying. If you would like to opt out of seeing such adverts, then you can follow these instructions:
- Visit the the IAB, the Network Advertising Initiative or Digital Advertising
Via these services you can choose to opt out of seeing ads from many individual major ad networks. Or, check the box marked 'Select All' and click on 'Submit your choices', to opt out of seeing all behavioural/interest-based ads from all of the providers listed. If doing this, please note that:
- As stated above, you may still see adverts from the providers you selected, but by opting out you should cease to see adverts from them that are based on your web browsing behaviour;
- If you use more than one computer and/or browser, you will need to complete this opt-out process on each computer and/or browser that you use;
- Many of the opt-outs work by placing a cookie on your computer browser that notifies the advertiser or ad network that they should place no other cookies on your browser. If these cookies are deleted, then you will need to complete the opt-out process again.
- Some advertising networks we work with operate independent opt-out
services. You may therefore also care to visit these web pages and
click the relevant ‘opt-out’ buttons or links:
- Information on how to opt out of Google's interest-based advertising is provided by Google here: https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en.